The Social Science Technology Services (SSTS) provides the software for Scan Exam-II and Marks Management System. We provide an examination scanning service for Faculty of Social Science courses. Other course exams should be taken to the WTS examination services office.
NOTE: Grade submission from MMS and email in ScanExam and MMS, will stop working at some point in 2020 when support for smtp.uwo.ca is discontinued. Please switch to OWL for these functions.
Assistance: Please use the Usage Notes and Frequently Asked Questions links below. Also note that help for any menu item can be found by pressing the F1 key while hovering over the menu item. You can print a copy of the course notes previously used in the former introductory course.
Scan Exam II is a Windows application for marking, analyzing, reporting and editing multiple choice exams after they have been read through an optical mark reader (OMR). The exam format supported is Standard Multiple Choice (180 questions, 5-choice A-E) which uses UWO Scantron Form F-13209-UWO. The current version of the ScanExam-II software is available for downloading. For best results, download or copy the install file to an empty folder before installing.
Marks Management System is a Windows application for performing routine processing tasks associated with the recording, calculation and reporting of student grades. The layout and operation of MMS is similar to a spreadsheet with custom features which cater to grade management. The current version of the MMS software is available for downloading. For best results, download or copy the install file to an empty folder before installing.
- MMS Version 3.2.7 (3.7Mb download) for Windows Vista/XP/2000/NT/ME/9X
- Frequently Asked Questions (this is the best place to find help)
- Usage Note for new users
- Usage Note advanced topics
NOTE: MMS is no longer being developed and Western recommends that you use OWL instead. MMS is available for download "as is" for people who still wish to use it. Many of the functions can be performed in Excel and there are instructions in OWL for that purpose. Log into OWL and choose OWL Documentation > Instructor > Frequently Asked Questions > How do I use Excel formulas to calculate my grades?
Other software is available to users of the SSC Network from various download sources including the following:
- PuTTY is a free and open source terminal emulator application which can act as a client for an SSH, Telnet or rlogin session.
- WinSCP (Windows Secure CoPy) is a free and open source SFTP client for Microsoft Windows. Its main function is secure file transfer between a local and a remote computer.
- Anti-virus software for faculty and departmental computers systems.
- Notepad ++ was formerly available from our Network Add-Remove Programs list. It is a very powerful text editor useful for programming.