Researchers or Department Administrators often require a space where they can store files that are accessible by other members of their team. If you expect that there will be a lot of shared files and you want multiple people to have read-write or read-only access to the files and folders, then you probably require a Shared Folder. You can complete an application for a shared folder online or in the SSTS Main Office, SSC Room 1228. Please prepare a list of usernames for people who should have access to the shared folder and indicate what type of access these users should have. It is the responsibility of the folder owner to request updates to your user access list as members of your team come and go. These can be emailed to email@example.com. Once your shared folder has been setup, you and your team will automatically be connected to it the next time you log onto an SSC Network computer. Research shared folders will be on P: and Administrative shared folders will be on W:. If you are not working on an SSC Network computer you can map the drive as follows:
- Open File Explorer (Windows 10) or Windows Explorer (Windows 7)
- Right-click on This PC (Windows 10) or Computer (Windows 7)
- Choose Map Network Drive …
- Choose an available drive letter. (P: for a Research Share, or W: for an Administrative Share)
- For Folder, enter
\\ssc-venus.uwo.pri\sscprojects$ for a Research Share or
\\ssc-venus.uwo.pri\sscadmin$ for an Administrative Share.
- Make sure there is a check in the box beside “Reconnect at logon”
- If you are not logged on using your Western Credentials, you will also need to check the box beside "Connect using different credentials".
- Click Finish.
- If you checked the box in step #7, you will be prompted for your Western username and password.
Connect Shared Drives on a Mac
If you are a Mac user, choose Finder > Go > Connect to Server. Enter the path as described above using the following syntax, however, for H: drives, do not include your username:
smb://ssc-venus.uwo.pri/sscprojects$ for a research share orsmb://ssc-venus.uwo.pri/sscadmin$ for an administrative share
Enter your network password when prompted. A new icon representing your mapped network drive should appear on the desktop. You will see either sscprojects$ (P:) or sscadmin$ (W:) drive with your shared folder(s) as a subfolder.
Disconnect Shared Drives from Your Mac
Open a Finder window. In the left margin under Shared, click on the eject button beside the ssc-venus share name (see the arrow above).