Teaching and Computing Rooms
Social Science Technology Services (SSTS) manages four public access computer rooms available to SSC Network account holders. These facilities are located in Rooms 1014, 1014B, 1020, and 1038 of the Social Science Centre. Room 1020 may be reserved for teaching and special events. Guest access to non-Social Science users for external bookings can be arranged when appropriate.
All rooms are equipped with Microsoft Windows computers, currently running Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit. The computers are connected to the SSC Network and the Internet. Users of the computing rooms have access to the complete range of pre-installed software, and software offered via the SSC Network Menu.
These rooms are also equipped with security and surveillance hardware for the protection and safety of students. Please do not compromise the safety of others by opening the door to unauthorized users. (Student identification is required at all times.)
Note: When the rooms are not open, access is available using the card reader located outside of the entry doors to each room. If you are a valid SSC Network user, your Western One card should work with the card reader.
Undergraduate/Graduate Computing for Faculty of Social Science Students
- 13 high-speed Microsoft Windows computers with 19" LCD monitors
- 1 Document scanner
- BW & Colour High quality HP laserjet printers controlled by PaperCut print release software. See our printing page for more information.
- Microsoft Windows multimedia instructor station connected to an overhead projector
- High-resolution ceiling-mounted projector with embedded speakers
- Projection screen
- Seminar-style table with six seats (total room capacity is 19 seats, including instructor station
- White board with erasable markers
- Adjustable overhead lighting
Rooms 1014 and 1014B are two schedulable, student meeting rooms for Faculty of Social Science course-related group project work. Drop-in use of these rooms is welcome, but reservations do take priority.
Thank you to the Social Science Student Council for the funds provided to create these rooms for Social Science Students.
Specifications for 1014 and 1014B
- Eight seats and a table
- One computer station with high speed internet, DVD Reader and USB port
- Ceiling mount LCD projector (turn off projector before leaving)
- Projection Screen
- Whiteboards (use only whiteboard markers)
- Wired/wireless internet connections and AC power for laptops
- Ability to connect up to four student laptops or smart devices to the projector (see below)
- 24/7 card access (1014 only)
You can connect your PC or MAC laptops, Apple or android devices wirelessly to the video projector in each of our Student Group Project Meeting Rooms (SSC 1014, 1014B). Using the Quad view on the Crestron wireless media presentation device, up to four devices can be displayed simultaneously, enabling your group to compare and share your presentation or collaborate on a project. For your convenience, simple instructions on how to connect your device to the video projector are provided in each room.
How to Make a Student Group Project Room Reservation
All reservations for Rooms 1014 and 1014B must be made through the SSTS on-line Student Group Project Room Booking website which you can access using your Western username and password. Passwords will only work if you have valid SSC Network access.
Note: Should you have difficulties using the on-line reservation form, please report the problem to email@example.com.
Room 1038 in the Faculty of Social Science Centre is generally a 24 hours/7 day a week computing room available to any graduate student, faculty, or staff member with valid SSC Network privileges. The room is always locked and is accessible using your Western One card in the card access reader located outside of the entry door. Additionally, many departments provide computing rooms for their graduate students and staff. Check with individual department administrators for details.
Graduate Computing Room/Survey Services and Participant Testing Room
- 11 high-speed Microsoft Windows computers with 19" high-resolution LCD monitors
- Individual cubicle-style booths with privacy curtains
- High quality HP laser printer controlled by PaperCut print release software. See our printing page for more information.
- 1 Document scanner
Room 1038 is also used as a Survey Services and Participant Testing Room. Grad students and researchers can reserve this room for participant testing for Faculty of Social Science research. Survey Services and Participant Testing will take priority over 24 hour drop-in graduate use.